Our client is a social enterprise working to actively foster inclusion for people living with disabilities. The award-winning design department is expanding and is looking to complement the team with a talented individual.
Industrial Designer job Cape Town
The client follows a traditional development process through a focus on user-centred design, working closely with both internal and external therapists to obtain feedback and verification on existing product changes and new solutions they develop. They have a trusted network of suppliers with whom they prototype and produce the devices and an internal production team with decades of experience in product assembly, customization and upholstery.
A junior position is available for someone with a technical background interested in working in a dynamic design and production environment. This position is an opportunity for broadening your knowledge as a designer by engaging in a practical work environment where the design decisions you make have real-world positive impacts on the lives of the people the products are created for. There is scope for expanding your role and responsibilities as you grow and develop within the design department and the SSE. You will work under the mentorship and supervision of the Head of Design, assisting him with a wide variety of tasks within the design department. These include, but are not limited to:
- Working on product improvements.
- Drafting Assembly Work Instructions.
- Generating technical drawings.
- Helping to maintain the design department's filing system as part of the organisation’s QMS.
- Accompanying the clinical team as a technician on clinics.
- Assisting with product field testing.
Personal Qualities :
The ideal candidate should be a hands-on individual with keen tinkering tendencies and should display the following qualities:
- Be self-motivated and take initiative to carry tasks through to completion.
- An open mind and willingness to explore and gain new knowledge and understanding.
- Be inquisitive and not afraid to ask questions. (this is how you will learn in this role)
- Problem-solving abilities and the skill to communicate them on paper or in prototype form.
- Must possess a keen sense of attention to detail.
- A relevant Design Degree in a technical field.
- Proficiency in English.
- Familiarity with SolidWorks software: 3D modelling, sheet metal features and generating technical drawings for production.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Experienced with using a variety of workshop tools safely and accurately.
- A working knowledge of electronics is an advantage.