Our client based in Westlake, Cape Town, is a publishing house that specialises in creating learning media, (both printed and digital) for training providers, colleges and private education centres. The client wishes to appoint a Copy Editor on a permanent basis. Degree in English / Linguistics / Communications or related fields is required.
Graduate Copy Editor job, Western Cape, South Africa
Duties and responsibilities:
- Assist the Lead Editor and Production Team with the compilation and quality assurance of textbooks and other support material.
- Ensure that textbooks and other support materials adhere to the company’s house style and referencing guidelines.
- Assess the content, structure and flow of manuscripts to ensure that they are written at an appropriate level for the intended audience.
- Make substantive edits to manuscripts by:
- Reviewing and fact-checking to ensure correctness of content;
- Correcting and rewriting text to ensure accurate use of grammar, spelling, syntax, punctuation etc;
- Reworking text for logic and accuracy, removing redundant or unnecessary text, and clarifying problem areas;
- Cross-checking in-text references and bibliographical entries, and amending these where necessary;
- Ensuring consistency of headings, figures, captions, tables, numbering, etc;
- Formatting documents where necessary, in line with the house style;
- Edit internal company documentation as may be requested from time to time.
- Conduct research where applicable.
- Assist with proofreading when necessary.
- Copy Editor job in Western Cape for a graduate.